It’s not always easy to follow a healthy meal plan day after day, but these tasty recipes should help. They are not only great for pre-diabetics and diabetics, but they are also simple to make!
Grilled Steak with Mushrooms (recipe serves 2)
- 2 4-ounce filet steaks (1.5 inches thick)
- 1 tablespoon trans-fat-free margarine
- 1 pint mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium baked sweet potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Heat an indoor or outdoor grill on high. Spray grill rack with cooking spray.
- Lightly sprinkle steaks evenly with salt and pepper.
- Place steaks on grill with direct high-heat and sear on each side for 1-2 minutes per side. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 18-23 minutes or until done (according to your preference). Transfer steak to a plate and cover with foil; let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Pierce sweet potato skin 5-6 times. Microwave for 5-8 minutes, or until tender, rotating halfway through.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat margarine over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 5-6 minutes until tender.
Chicken Burritos (recipe serves 4)
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 4 large low-carb, whole-wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo or salsa
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed or shredded
- 1 cup canned no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 Tbsp reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Spread mashed avocado on one tortilla. Top with 2 Tbsp pico de gallo, 1/2 cup chicken, 1/4 cup black beans, 1 1/2 Tbsp cheese, 1/4 cup lettuce and 1/4 cup diced tomatoes.
- Fold into burrito. Repeat for remaining 3 burritos.
For more diabetic-friendly recipes ideas, visit the Diabetes.org website.