At your next party try substituting snacks that are high in fat with appetizers that contain fresh ingredients. We suggest these two guilt-free appetizers: Cowboy Caviar and Caprese Skewers. Both are easy to make and are relatively low in calories.
1. Cowboy Caviar
This dip is filled with fresh veggies, spices and beans, and can be served with corn or pita chips.
– 1/2 cup olive oil
– 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
– 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
– 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 (11 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
– 1 onion, diced
– 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
– 1 cup chopped cilantro
– 1 avocado, diced (optional)
– In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, chili powder, and salt. Add tomatoes, black-eyed peas, beans, corn, onion, and bell peppers. Stir to combine.
– Stir in cilantro. Cover and chill at least 1 hour to blend flavors. Top with avocado. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
2. Caprese Skewers
You can make as few or as many of these easy-to-share snacks as you’d like!
– cherry tomatoes
– fresh mozzarella, cut into cubes
– fresh basil leaves, cut in half
– 1 cup balsamic vinegar
– wooden skewers
– Thread cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cubes, and basil leaves onto skewers, repeating until the skewer is filled. Repeat until you get the amount of skewers you want.
– Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve!